Julia Palik is a Senior Researcher at the Peace Research Institute Oslo. Currently, she is leading a 3.5-year-long project (DISARM) funded by the Norwegian Research Council on the relationship between DDR and conflict recurrence.
The DISARM project is the first to collect and analyze global systematic data on DDR programs (1975-2021).
Julia conducts research on DDR, gender aspects of DDR processes, disarmament negotiations, mediation, and third-party interventions in civil wars. Julia conducted fieldwork in the Middle East and Asia and provided monitoring and evaluation work for FAO, Save the Children, and consultancy for various UN bodies.
- Armed conflict (causes, dynamics, prevention)
- Armed groups
- DDR planning
- DDR processes, programming and support
- Demobilization and reinsertion
- Disarmament and weapons and ammunition management
- International intervention
- Legal and normative frameworks for DDR
- Political context of DDR
- The United Nations and DDR
- Women, gender and DDR