Mario Nascimento has over 15 years of experience with international organizations such as the Organization of American States (OAS), the World Bank, UNDP and the United Nations Secretariat. This includes significant field experience in Colombia and Afghanistan.
Since 2016, Mario has served as Policy and Planning Officer with the Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) Section at the UN Headquarters in New York. His tasks include providing technical support and policy advise to mission and non-mission settings towards the design and implementation of DDR processes.
He holds a bachelor’s degree in International Relations from the University of Brasilia – UnB (Brazil) and a master’s degree in Economic and Political Development from Columbia University School of Public and International Affairs (SIPA).
- Armed conflict (causes, dynamics, prevention)
- Armed groups
- Children and DDR
- Community violence reduction
- DDR planning
- DDR processes, programming and support
- DDR-related tools
- Demobilization and reinsertion
- International intervention
- Legal and normative frameworks for DDR
- National and local ownership
- Organized crime and DDR
- Political context of DDR
- Regional and subregional actors in DDR
- Rule of law, transitional justice and DDR
- Terrorism, violent extremism and DDR
- The United Nations and DDR
- Women, gender and DDR
- Youth and DDR